Sunday, February 18, 2007

and We're off!

We’re on the plane getting ready to leave. I met dad in the C terminal of Dulles around 6:45. We had beers and dinner and talked about how nervous we both were. We’ve both traveled overseas quite extensively, and we’ve traveled together, so what the heck is wrong with us? Our theory is that
a.) we’ve been anticipating this trip for so long (me since fall 2004 and dad since early 2006) and it’s finally here.
b.) we’re going for almost 3 weeks and we’re going to Antarctica. A lot could happen on this trip, but that’s what adventure is all about. Stepping outside your comfort zone and experiencing amazing things. So….we’re off.

Today I was a mess. I’ve had half of my gear for the trip laid out on my bedroom floor for a week, but I couldn’t bring myself to put anything into a bag until shortly before it was time to leave the house. Dad woke me at 8am with news that we could upgrade to economy plus (5 extra inches of leg room) for $109, so disheveled and not quite awake, I jumped on the computer and after a few trials, secured myself a seat right behind dad. Then I got dressed and spent an hour on the treadmill. Home to a shower and every teeny tiny errand I could think of other than actually packing. Laundry, garbage, dishes, cat, tidy, sweep, litter, new earrings, shoveling (we got 4 inches of snow last week).

Then finally at 2pm, with 2 hours before I needed to leave, I put my mind to the task of packing. Aside from running around in circles saying “ok…ok…ok…” as I do when I’m “focused”, it was quite productive and quite easy. 2 bags (despite the recommendation of one) with 1 bag for just Antarctica and 1 for Argentina. (pretty much) I think that will make things much easier. Got a few send off texts from some good friends while I was packing, so that was nice. 4pm on the dot I was ready to go. I called Alice to take inventory of what I’d forgotten – nothing! So I hit the road. There were a few snow squalls on the drive down, but nothing too exciting. I parked my car at Alice’s, hopped in the baby Benz and we were off. Awesome of Alice to go our of her way to give me a ride. She even volunteered to pick me up.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket















Ahhhh...the good old self portrait!


So here I am on the plane, waiting to take off for the 10 hour flight to Buenos Aires. Dad and I are trying to identify fellow marathoners. We already met one guy, Rom, who’s on his 7th continent. How cool! There are going to be some very interesting people on this trip. I can’t wait.

No comments: