Thursday, March 22, 2007

Reflection

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thank you for reading about my Antarctic adventure. I hope you enjoyed it. The trip to Antarctica was an absolutely amazing one from top to bottom. The weather was amazing. It got better and better every day. The weather on race day was rough, but it wouldn't have been nearly the adventure if it hadn't been. Then, the days got better and better and the experiences more amazing. The wildlife was unreal. The views were breathtaking, and the Peregrine staff who ran the boat trip were fantastic.

But when I think back on what made the trip so special, it was the people. Everyone was so positive, and so energetic and fun. We laughed and talked and bonded so well. Sometimes during a marathon, I'll start talking to someone I don't know, and get to know them pretty well, but rarely do I see them after the race. Even people you know, you run the race, then disperse. On this trip, we met in Buenos Aires, got to know each other for 2 days at sea, experienced the nerves, the pain, and the glory of the marathon together, then celebrated together, and continued our adventure. It was an amazing group of people, and I very much hope to see the majority of them again, and I believe with them, it will really happen. I'll definitely see Jerry at the 50 miler in November, I've been invited to run a marathon in Egypt over new years, (I have to say I'm really tempted there) and we're planning to run the London Marathon in 08.

Also, to have the opportunity to go on a huge trip like this with a parent is a rare occurance. Dad and I had a great time together and bonded well too. It was fun to get to know him in a new setting, and be there for his awesome marathon triumph! I'm very proud of him, and glad he's my dad.

There will be hours of reflection to figure out where I go from here. I'll frequently go look at the 1300 or more pictures I have, and lose myself. Trying to explain the trip, the moments, the experience to people who weren't there is really difficult, and very frustrating sometimes. It was so special. Since I got back, people have asked me if I would go back, and the answer is "Probably not." First of all, it wouldn't be the same without the same people and the same goals. But more importantly, it is such a pristine and special place. I had my chance to go there. I wouldn't want to have any more impact on the environment there than I already have. I had my Antarctic adventure. There are so many other places to go and see.

My next adventure is a 24 hour adventure race in WV over Memorial Day weekend with my AR team "Help I've Fallen and I can't Find my Compass". Should be a blast. I'll be sure to add an entry for that adventure!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Team "compass" at Venture Quest in fall 2006

No comments: